Deterding, S., Dixon, D., Khaled, R., & Nacke, L. (2011, September). From game design elements to gamefulness: defining gamification. In Proceedings of the 15th international academic MindTrek conference: Envisioning future media environments (pp. 9-15). ACM.
Gamification Refers to:
- The Use (rather than extension) of
- Design (rather than game based technology or other game related practices)
- Elements (rather tan full fledged games)
- Characteristic for games (rather than play or playfulness)
- In non-game contexts
TLDR – The use of design elements and characteristics for games in non-game contexts
Panagiotis, F., Theodoros, M., Leinfellner, R., & Yasmine, R. (2016). Climbing up the leaderboard: An empirical study of applying gamification techniques to a computer programming class. Electronic Journal of E-Learning, 14(2), 94-110.
Michael Wos – What is Gamification?
TLDR – WIIFM
- Whats in it for me? -> Motivation for play
Exploring Basic VR Levels